A group of activists, investigators announced the names of four Russian citizens who fought in Syria in the composition of illegal subdivisions of private military companies (“PMCs Wagner”) and presumably killed February 7 after the impact of the coalition headed by the USA. What part of about a hundred of the victims are Russians is unknown. This story has again raised the question of the legal status of PMCs and their employees fighters in Russia — now they are illegal. “MK” talked to one of the authors of the foi bill, the first Deputy head of the faction “SR” in the state Duma Mikhail Emelianov.
The activities of private military companies is not legalized in Russia. Legally, they are the creators and employees are criminals. In the Criminal code of Russian Federation there is article 359, entitled “Mercenary”: the recruitment, training and financing of mercenaries, as well as for using it in armed conflict or hostilities she promises no alternative to deprivation of liberty for a term of 4 to 8 years old, and the mercenary threatened with imprisonment for the term from 3 till 7 years. Note on article explains exactly who is considered in Russia a “mercenary”, that is, the offender: a person who, in order to obtain material compensation involved in an armed conflict or military operations on the territory of another country without being a citizen of this country, not live there permanently and does not perform official duties on behalf of their homeland.
Attempts by the example of many countries, including the United States, to legalize Russian PMCs and enter them in the legal field still have not been successful. In the last convocation of the state Duma spravoross Gennady Nosovka was twice submitted to the Parliament a draft law “On private military security companies” (in his opinion, they had to operate under the control of the FSB), but supporting the government is not found. Mr. Nosovka no longer the Deputy of the state Duma, but now that the urgency of the problem becomes more apparent, his initiative has been significantly redesigned and will again be tabled in Parliament. What its prospects, “MK” was told by one of the authors — Mikhail Emelyanov.
– At what stage is the work on the bill?
– In late January we sent it to the government for approval, but so far no response from there is not received.
– What, in Your opinion, should control over the activities of PMCs by the state?
– It is assumed that their activities would be licensed by the Ministry of defence. To make this possible need to amend the regulation on the licensing, because now the military have been deprived of the right to issue licenses. In addition, we expect to prescribe the right MO for wanton refusal to issue a license PMCs — denying, it does not have to explain why “no”. The location, permanent and temporary, the routes of movement — all this should be under the control of the Ministry of defence.
– You suggest the use of PMCs in military purposes only. or for the protection of various dangerous infrastructure?
Now we propose to use a PMC to deal with purely military tasks outside the country with mandatory coordination function MO — it is assumed that the composition of the Ministry will be a special authorized person. All firearms belonging to the PMC, in addition to an easy like pistols and machine guns must be stored in army depots.
– If PMCs soldiers killed or maimed as a result of wounds received during the execution of the tasks, whether they and members of their families to spread the volume of social guarantees and benefits, which put the Russian military?
– They all have to be insured by the owner of the company. Insurance and a contract that will protect them during the occurrence of undesirable consequences. These people need to understand that they go to a private company to risk their lives for a salary that exceeds the salary of a contractor who was in the army.
– Defense your bill consistent?
– Not directly, but develop as experts participated retired military of high rank. Noteworthy is the fact that recently in support of the idea of legalization of PMCs spoke and the head of the Duma Committee on defense, and the head of the defense Committee of the Federation Council, and the Minister of foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation Sergey Lavrov. But will it be supported by our bill or some other on the subject — I do not undertake to predict.
Get short formal newsletter the best in the “MK” – subscribe to our Telegram.