“Yerevan is our historical land, and we, Azerbaijanis must return to this land, – said the President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, speaking at a Congress of the ruling party “Yeni Azerbaijan”. Is our political and strategic goal, and we need to see her gradually come closer”. Their thoughts on what goals the leader of the country, making such bellicose statements, shared with us the Deputy Director of the Institute of CIS countries Vladimir Zharikhin.
It should be clarified that the Congress was the election: the incumbent President nominated by the “New Azerbaijan” on the presidency – presidential elections will be held on 11 April this year. In fact, they were to be held only in October, but February 5, Aliyev called for early elections, not explaining his decision. Later the assistant to the President on foreign policy called the early election a “precautionary measure” to neutralize some “negative processes” in the Caucasus and neighboring regions.
– Vladimir Leonidovich, according to popular belief, threatening statements of the President of Azerbaijan is nothing more than campaign rhetoric. But apparently this is not the situation when a politician chasing cheap popularity, when no incendiary speeches will not win the election. What do you think about this?
– I also associate these statements with the upcoming elections. Aliyev’re not fighting with rivals: he just needs to get more votes. I think in the next legislature period he intends to solve the Nagorno Karabakh issue, and for that he wants to garner maximum voter support. To this end, Aliyev attracted to including the voices of radical-minded voters in Azerbaijan, unfortunately, a lot.
– As they say, on this point in more detail: how exactly Aliev, in your opinion, is going to solve the Karabakh problem?
– Well, there’s a definite suggestion of the Minsk group (OSCE Minsk group – the group of the countries-members of OSCE, are involved in the search for a peaceful settlement of the Karabakh conflict; includes Belarus, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Finland and Turkey as well as Armenia and Azerbaijan. – «MK.)» We are talking about the so-called Madrid of the Memorandum, which is painted the whole sequence of actions. In the words of the one and the other side seems to support it. However, neither the one nor the other side lacks the political will to go to the proposed compromise.
– Judging from Aliyev’s bellicose statements, not excluded a military solution.
Well, the statements will soon be forgotten. When he gets wide popular support, he will have a free hand in order to accept a compromise solution. A politician, he is experienced, intelligent, educated and cunning.
And on a military adventure will not go?
– I think not. It showed all the previous years of his reign.
Get short formal newsletter the best in the “MK” – subscribe to our Telegram.