The adoption of a new package of anti-Russian sanctions “de facto does not change anything”, said press Secretary of Vladimir Putin Dmitry Peskov. American President Donald trump signed previously approved by the us Congress a bill on the extension of restrictive measures against Russia, Iran and North Korea. The leader of the USA noted that the document contained “flaws” – in particular, limits the authority of the President. The fact that Congress removed from the bill a clause according to which trump could mitigate or stop taking any package of sanctions. However, in the face of constant accusations of ties with Russia and the face of a rally of the Congress, the President was forced to put his signature. What political consequences it may entail, “MK” said the chief researcher of the Institute of USA and Canada studies, Vladimir VASSILYEV.
– We can assume that the law will sooner or later sent to the U.S. Supreme court on its conformity to the American Constitution, – said the expert. – Besides the “flaws” may have an impact on the implementation of the law, taking into account the position of the White house. This has implications for the European allies, who already are seeking ways to cast doubt on new sanctions. That is the White house announcement is a hint for Europeans who can now refer to those “flaws”, refusing to follow in the footsteps of Washington. That is, in the legal field set a dangerous precedent.
– White house statement after signing the law trump expressed hope that our countries will continue cooperation and the need for sanctions will disappear. How realistic are such “forecasts”?
– While this is nothing more than wishful thinking trump. Obviously, they Express his disappointment at the incident. Perhaps the US President and his entourage understand that the new law closes the prospects for improving Russian-American relations. In this case, the trump from its strategic goal refuses, giving a signal to Russia not to pay attention and continue the interaction. But, unfortunately, in this case, only the rhetoric of the Russian side to improve relations will not work, since there is no guarantee that the agreements will be executed that does not intervene third force, for example, you mentioned Congress. That is trump in this case simply distanced itself from the decision of the congressmen. This is probably due to inexperience as a politician who believes that “law – that dyshlo: where has turned – and came back”. But in fact, in inter-state relations such as “business ethics” the. At least for the Russian side. Of course, trump could veto, but all agree that it would be easily overcome. We must remember that Convention very conservative on. It is very difficult to create a coalition, and if it arose – and now the congressmen have shown rare unanimity – it is likely to continue for a long time.
– Dmitry Peskov, said that the adoption of new sanctions “de facto does not change anything”. In what manner should consider a position of Russia? Does this readiness to cooperate, despite the new law? Either we are talking about a relationship that already are at a very low level?
– Good question… the Statement of Peskova – very thin. Probably talking about the fact that the Russian leadership acknowledged – trump did not introduce any changes in bilateral relations. Despite the hopes of the President of the United States, Moscow does not see any concrete steps. The low level of what were previously, and thus preserved, although we observed a slight softening of rhetoric of the new administration in comparison with the presidency of Barack Obama.
– Given the words of Peskov, will not affect whether the law on the implementation of the accords reached during the meeting of foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and U.S. Secretary Rex Tillerson in Moscow? For example, the creation of joint working groups, whose task will be “dealing with blockages” in bilateral relations.
– I think clarity on this question will be submitted to the meeting of Lavrov and Tillerson in Manila at the end of this week. But, in my opinion, the main negative consequence of the new law on sanctions – the destruction of an atmosphere of trust, which allegedly occurred at the G20 summit during the talks between Putin and trump. And in the current situation it appears that “wanted as better, and it turned out as always” – with regard to Russian-American relations today, this phrase is very accurate.
Sanctions . Chronicle of events