Turkish troops will remain in Syria as long as the local forces will not take control of the situation, said the foreign Minister of Turkey Mevlut Cavusoglu.
Turkey’s army on August 24 last year launched operation “shield of the Euphrates” against the militants of the banned terrorist group ISIS, with the participation of the Syrian opposition took the border town Dzharablus in the North of Syria and al-Bab. The Prime Minister of Turkey Binali Yildirim said on Wednesday on its successful completion, stating that in case of threat to the security of the country for a possible new operation.
“Local forces that are there (in Syria are exempt from IG* – ed.) deployed to protect the (population) must be trained and equipped. We will evaluate the possibility of reducing troops or complete withdrawal only after the local forces will be able to fully control the situation,” Cavusoglu told reporters aboard the plane heading to Brussels, where the day before held a meeting of the NATO Council at the level of Ministers of foreign Affairs. It quoted Saturday by the newspaper Hurriyet.
He again expressed concern about Ankara on the cooperation of States with self-defense forces of Syrian Kurds, which Turkey considers a terrorist organization, associated with the country banned Kurdistan workers ‘ party. “They (the U.S. – ed.) say that otherwise they will have to send to Syria for additional troops, and the decision is still pending. But their cooperation with the YPG still on the agenda. As I understand it, they are concerned that YPG will be under Russian control if the US will cease to cooperate with them,” added the Turkish Minister.
* The terrorist group “Islamic state” (IG) is prohibited in Russia.