The first building, second floor – here is one of the major exhibitions of the Museum of Moscow, dedicated to the 120 jubilee year of its existence. Archaeological finds from the fourth century BC, banknotes, utensils, paintings, fashion, historical outfits and even Soviet automobiles – here you can see a completely unexpected exhibits. Neon letters – a kind of cartography, beacons that need to go. The visitors are invited intellectual game in the history of Moscow and Muscovites – are not in alphabetic order, and randomly, thereby transferring the momentum of a big city. Don’t get lost and all the time tried the correspondent of “MK”.
photo: Ekaterina Pisareva
What is there in the exhibition “the ABC Museum” – themed variety is that wander through the history of the city and its citizens can be a few hours. “Bonistics”, “House”, “Tree”, “Photographer”, “Metro”, “Plans”, “Tea”, “Joke”, “Charity”, “Jubilee” – at first glance, the choice of characterizing the unit speech seems random. But, after examining the exhibits more closely, know – nothing random here: Museum curators and curators of the global structured work and selection. Between the letters-words can have and when – they are listed on the information paintings, so from one place you can immediately go to another. Route options – the mass, you can walk and explore indefinitely, collecting your own alphabet.
In the most bright and large-scale the section “Archaeology” to trace the history of the city: from Dyakovo culture prior to the twentieth century, from the Charge and the Kremlin to the outlying villages. Here you can see the beads, tiles painted, clay pots, arrows, household items and kitchen utensils. In the “Legends” – to learn the history of the Sukharev tower and warlock James Bruce, and in the “Event” is to return to the iconic official celebration and the people of Moscow celebrations. Only reflected three major events: the Coronation celebrations associated with the Russian Imperial house, Festival of youth, 1957, and of course the 1980 Olympic games.
In the section “Restoration” visitors were promised a performance in the evening – restorers of the Museum of Moscow will lift the veil of secrecy and demonstrate how the work on the valuable things. And in the “City management” presents the history of Moscow by those who ruled the city: here personal belongings, documents, certificates of mayors and governors-General. Unusual for modern Muscovite the word “einem”, issued in the name of another block – reflects the history of the flagship confectionery Moscow factory “Red October”. “Einem” is her previous name.
The last letter of the alphabet “I” is located in the little red room in the center of the exposure. “I” is a resident of Moscow, forming part of a collective portrait of the city. Here you can look in the mirror symbolizing the fact that every visitor is part of the history of Moscow, as well as see memorabilia, certificates and portraits of famous and unknown residents.
– The exhibition collected a year and a half, tells us, the curator of “the ABC Museum” by Alexander Selivanov. Is the first show on this scale of collection from archaeology to the present. The Museum collection was formed over 120 years in different areas, and he has varied and the Museum of municipal economy, Moscow history and reconstruction of the Stalinist master plan. Our task was to present everything as widely as possible. To do this, chose a format for this game, the formal principle of the alphabet.
photo: Ekaterina Pisareva
– What inspired you to create exposure for the alphabetic principle?
You can see our influences ABCs 1830-ies in the “Study”, where each letter contains a different and unusual linking phenomena and objects. On the same principle we decided to show our collection. For each of the 33 letters of the alphabet was chosen as the word that refers to the history of Moscow, and with our Museum’s history.
– On what basis did you choose the title for each block of the word?
– We have diversity. The adjective “Red” and the toponym “Ostozhenka” coexist with such abstract concepts as “Food” or “Event”.
– If to speak about the route, how it was planned? Where to go, what rules to follow?
Each visitor chooses his own route. The letters are arranged not alphabetically, but in chaotic logic, with reference to the architecture of the exhibition. At the entrance there are plans, but in each section – the text under each letter. People passing through the exhibition, you can collect these leaves, the ones that he is interested in and collects his own alphabet of the Museum. What is inside of blocks, built sometimes in chronological order, as in “Urban planning” or “Archeology”. Some, on the contrary, for example, “Games”, where all collected on the principle of the archetypes of the games and their types, some on the principle of plot, as “Plants” (pre-revolutionary, Soviet).
– And on what principle formed, for example, “Dandy”?
– The “Dandy” we chose the hard principle. It suits of the late 19th century, bought in fashionable shops and houses in Moscow.
– And “Vasnetsov”? This is the only artist selected separately in the block.
– Apollinaris Vasnetsov – a key artist for the Museum of Moscow. We were interested to show its scientific kitchen, explanatory drawings next to his famous watercolors. It is clear that this scientific work, the reconstruction for a certain period in different places of the city.
– And what kind of block the Invasion of Napoleon, ” and why the reference to 1912, not 1812?
– “Napoleon’s invasion” is devoted to comments and memories of the war of 1812. The exhibition contains a variety of things. We tried to show a different perspective of war and of human relations between people. There are units associated with the memories of eyewitnesses and directly with the events of 1812, and the unit to which you drew attention, assembled for the centenary of the war. There are menus for French guests who arrived in Moscow in 1912, presented mementos, shawls.
– You will have unusual architectural image of the exhibition: grid, open space, and shelves. Tell us more about it.
The image arose from Cyril AssA (author of the architectural concept), is associated with the Pompeian excavations. At Pompeii everything is mined, put on the shelf for such nets. In General, and painting of the pavilions – also a definite reference to this phenomenon to that in culture and history. It was supposed to emphasize that the collection of the Museum of Moscow such an unknown layer in which we conduct archaeological studies, excavations, making this exhibition. In addition there is Association with the open Museum storage, exhibition format of the collection, which is not very popular, but has long been common in Europe and America when man is free to build your own itinerary.Related posts: