Researchers of the Institute of archaeology of the Russian Academy of Sciences has told about intermediate results of the study of the second oldest Church on the territory of modern Russia — the Novgorod Church of the Annunciation in the Settlement. As scientists say, the numerous finds significantly better idea of how the temple looked like in antiquity.
The ruins of the Church of the Annunciation in the Settlement. Photos opurina.narod.ru
As stated by the corresponding member of RAS Vladimir Sedov, the ability to see a complex of large stone Church began in the XII century can be called unique. According to archaeologists, the Stone Church of the Annunciation was built by order of the Novgorod Prince Mstislav the Great in 1103. While Rurik Settlement (then called simply the Settlement) became the princely residence than professionals and tend to explain the appearance of a huge Church on a hill at some distance from Novgorod.
According to the researchers, the temple was collapsed from disrepair after two and a half centuries and was replaced by a stone Church in 1343 year. The new building was several times rebuilt, and then suffered during the great Patriotic war, and then for a long time stood in ruins. Recently a decision was made about the restoration of the ruins and museums in and started large-scale excavations at two of the field season.
In the course of work the experts have already detected hundreds of fragments of frescoes, as well as many architectural details. In particular, the archaeologists found part of the stair towers of the temple, the stairs which rose to the platform, the choir, and dug up three of the four pillars supporting the Central dome.
The Western and southern parts of the old building is scheduled to open later this year. According to Vladimir Sedov, by the end of August, the excavations allow you to see more than half the plan of the Church of the Annunciation. Next season we plan to study the part of the Church, got inside the building of the XIV century and can be exposed under the roof
The oldest known Church on the territory of modern Russia recognized Saint Sophia Cathedral in Novgorod, it dates from the middle of XI century.Related posts: