Today, the source of “Interfax” reported that in the United States died, the former Colonel SVR Alexander Pot, surrendered to the Americans our residency, ciphers, a new radio system and business channels, which were used by Russian intelligence. In 2011, after escaping to the United States, Pot was sentenced in absentia in Russia and received 25 years. Information about the death of Poteyev to us was commented by the Chairman of the security Committee of the state Duma, is the author of articles and books about the work of the security services Alexander Khinshtein.
photo: Archive MK
– Do you believe in the validity of the message of the death of Alexander Poteyev?
– Today nobody had a definite answer to the question, like it or not. You have to understand that American intelligence agencies often make efforts additional “encryption” of defectors, and can run misinformation about the death of Poteeva.
But first this information was reported by Russian media, not the us — that would be more logical if the Americans wanted to give such misinformation…
Diagram of active measures could be implemented in different ways, information for greater likelihood to spread, and through relatives Poteeva.
– Assume that Pot really is dead. Could it eliminate our intelligence agencies?
– Expressly excluded. Since 1961, our intelligence and security services completely abandoned, so to say, of acute events outside the country. Then, after the elimination of one of the leaders of the OUN Rebet and Stepan Bandera and defection to the West assassin Stashinsky in the structure of foreign intelligence was abolished by the 13th division, engaged in foreign liquidations.
– Well and how, for example, poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko?
– And the Russian special services here at what?
– Well, your position is clear and the debate is probably not meaningful. But you’re not going to deny that many defectors died abroad not in old age. Poteau, by the way, 64 years.
– Practice shows that most of the defectors, betrayed the Motherland, tend to finish their fate is pitiable. It has nothing to do with “long arms” of our intelligence services.
Western intelligence agencies quickly lose to defectors interest. Some traitors even then pleaded with the local authorities, demanding additional remuneration or became there involved in criminal cases. For example, escaped to the UK 1991, a foreign intelligence officer Mikhail Butkov was subsequently charged with fraud, extortion and got three years in prison
I remember now the words of the late chief of external intelligence of the KGB, Leonid Shebarshin: “No one defector feels calm and live with a sense of fear and full of emptiness”.
Difficult to find at least one example where an escaped abroad, the traitor would have found happiness. Someone dies early, someone becomes an inveterate drunkard, someone is in prison, someone commits their days in a nursing home, as happened with who asked in 1954 for political asylum in Australia Vladimir Petrov.
Pictures of 10 Russian agents, illegal immigrants, issued Poteeva. Photo: U. S. Marshals Service.
– Pot fled to the United States in 2010, then in the United States has detained our scouts. But become public materials in absentia trial of Poteeva, it follows that he worked for the Americans since the 90-ies, causing thus our exploration of massive damage. If you compare this damage with the damage from the actions of the other defectors — what place you would put Poteyev?
– The top five I would personally put it. In the nineties were traitors who provided Western intelligence agencies a greater amount of information — for example, the foreign intelligence service Colonel Alexander Zaporozhye, which the Americans recruited in 1995 or SVR officer Sergei Tretyakov, who became a double agent since 1997 and fled to the United States in 2000. the Information Pot passed the United States, superimposed on data from Zaporozhye and Tretyakov, thus the interests and national security of Russia suffered an unprecedented damage.
PS Sergei Tretyakov, who received US citizenship, died in 2010 at the age of 54 years, choking on a piece of meat. Alexander Zaporozhye after the arrest in Moscow in 2001 and a sentence of 18 years in prison for treason was exchanged in 2010, Russian spies, who were given Pot. Now Zaporizhia is in the States with family.
Read the story: Star and death of Alexander Poteeva: what do we know about the defectorRelated posts: