To study the structure of the molecule histamine is the main substance responsible for the allergic reaction, managed professionals chemistry Department of MSU. Lomonosov. The results of this work were published in the journal Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. One of the co-authors, doctor of chemical Sciences Leonid Khaikin told “MK” the essence of the study.
Acting on multiple receptors at the surface of the cell, the histamine can “run” different reactions: headache, rash, diarrhea. Modern anti-Allergy medications – antihistamines – compete with histamine for the receptors, not allowing him to approach the cage. However, the creators of the drugs until recently looked for ways to block histamine empirically, by trial and error groping his weaknesses. Now, apparently, it will be easier to block histamine, knowing its geometry.
– Really nobody tried to get a “portrait” of the molecule of histamine?
In the gas phase — no. Its distinguishing characteristic is that in this phase the molecules have very weak interaction among themselves, and we can see its basic configuration.
Is a special device electronograph. It is the scattering of a beam of fast electrons in the jet of vapor of the studied substance under high vacuum. Our Ged method at all unique, no other can’t successfully solve the problem of the structure of molecules in the gas phase.
The main conformers of C5H9N3 histamine (blue atoms are nitrogen, black – carbon, gray – hydrogen atoms)
– And what is a “molecule allergies”?
– A certain degree of coordination of interacting atoms. In its most stable form, there are 17.
– What will your discovery those who struggle with allergies?
– Histamine is a regulator of many physiological processes, but sometimes acts as a mediator of allergic reactions. Knowledge of configuration of its molecules will better enable them to remove it from the body, and pharmacologists will find the best mechanism for this. They had the opportunity to consider the mechanism of the interaction of histamine with other substances, the cells in the body to understand its negative essence. Under what conditions it begins its harmful effects? What part rotates the molecule to the cell at the moment of contact? All sorts of issues can now be solved thanks to our work.